Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.d-i-y,sci.engr.lighting
David Hansen

Default UK question: ES light bulb better than bayonet?

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 11:38:47 +0000 someone who may be Mike Barnes
wrote this:-

There are several significant disadvantages to ES bulbs over BC
(polarity reversal safety

Wossat?

If someone wires the live to the screw part of the fitting then it
is quite easy for people to touch that part, especially if replacing
a bulb.

Of course in many places whether the live is wired to the inner or
outer part of the fitting depends on which way round the plug is
inserted.

While this doesn't kill millions every day, it is undesirable.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh