Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

Default 'Lead free' soldering kit ?

Hi All,

My friend wants to give their 13 year old son something 'electronic /
kit' based for xmyth and have looked to me for help ?

I note that there are now 'lead free' solutions and just wondered how
they worked re basic electronc kit constuction / soldering please?

Should I get them something like this Maplin starter kit?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...7935&doy=25m11

Would 18w be 'right' for small component assembly with 'lead free' ?

I assume in the absense of lead the temp would be higher (and would my
'ex BT' Weller soldering station cope?)? ;-(

I was going to suggest a couple of basic kits that 'do something'
(electronic dice / light sequencer) might hold more interest 'after'
the kits were complete.

What impact would 40 years soldering with the 'full fat' stuff have
had on me? [1]

All the best ..

T i m

[1] Obviously not dementia .. not bought a hybrid car yet! ;-)