Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.d-i-y,sci.engr.lighting
Palindr˜»me

Default UK question: ES light bulb better than bayonet?

David Lee wrote:

snip
It's not just those terrible ES fittings that are perverting our standards -
just about all light fittings commonly available from UK DIY stores are not
suitable for normal use as supplied. Every one I have seen is supplied with
just a two-pole connector or two-terminal piece of choc-strip and hence
should be connected via a junction box. I have never seen one that contains
proper instructions explaining how the unit should correctly be fitted in a
domestic UK installation.

I suppose it won't be a problem in future since you'll have to shell out a
couple of hundred quid for a Part-P certified sparky to fit it for you -
right?

IIUC, not, in general if you are merely replacing an
existing fitting.

--
Sue