Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.d-i-y,sci.engr.lighting
Chris Bacon

Default UK question: ES light bulb better than bayonet?

Lars wrote:
Here in the UK many of the desk lamps I can buy nowadays take a bulb
with an Ediscon Screw fitting. Also many wall lights for outdoor use
(sometimes with a PIR detector) take an ES fitting bulb.

Try and avoid them.

Until recently all I ever needed for a general purpose light bulb was
a bayonet fitting. Now ES fittings seem to be appearing!
Pictures: http://www.bltdirect.co.uk/base.htm

Is there a particular advantage of the ES fitting over the bayonet
fitting in these sorts of applications?

No, they are not as good as bayonet fittings.