Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.engr.joining.welding
Pete C.

Default Uses for Old UPSes

RDF wrote:

Pete,
I hear ya- loud and clear. This one is even better. At 30k the P/M is to
replace the serpentine belt (fully logical) I asked "How much" expecting
about $30.00 He told me $220.79 Now, my car has my company name and graphic
on the trunk lid, I asked the guy if it was correct and he reassured me it
was and it needed a "special tool" to change it. So in I peek. Went and got
a 4" C- clamp to compress a hydraulic cylinder to maintain pressure on the
tensioner and installed a Gates Powergrip belt ( at a whopping $14.99 at
NAPA) I wonder what a $200.00 C-clamp does
Moral of the story- I'm not the brightest guy on the planet but that is
plain theft. And people pay it, I feel sorry for them. This is why I had my
ex-girlfriend's daughter take autoshop and work for me in the summer. Let
some other sucker bite that hook. That in itself justified me buying a
complete factory service manual and a Benz logic cartridge set for my
Snap-On scanner. Hell, I would have spent that on a belt alone from the
dealer.

I know it's very OT but it just leaves me angry to recall it and think
I'd go for it.

All the best,

Rob Fraser

Fraser Competition Engines
Chicago, IL.

With each new vehicle I have owned, I have ordered the factory service
manual(s) at the same time I ordered the vehicle. I can't understand
people who whine about a $100 manual set when they just spent $30,000 or
more on the vehicle. I've read every one of those manuals cover to cover
several times and you learn quite a bit.

Pete C.