Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dishwasher - dishes in top rack dirty: THE ANSWER!

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 22:24:12 +0000, Matt
wrote:

There is one type of dishwasher contamination that makes the
dishwasher (and the whole house) smell just like a backstreet garage -
the first and only time I put a few engine parts (actually a cylinder
head) in there for a quick rinse before commencing a rebuild will be
my last. Fortunately SWMBO was away on business for the whole week.
It took me about a dozen dummy washes to get rid of the smell - a
mixture of hot gunk and old engine oil was wafting through the house
every time and I was rapidly running out of ideas. The final desperate
solution with a few hours to spare was to use some shower gel - got
rid of the stink and the dishwasher came up looking like new.

A friend of mine used to be a nightclub lighting engineer.

They would dismantle some of the lights, remove the electrics so they
were just left with the metal or plastic housing around the light
itself.

He said a dishwasher was great for getting all the tar and gunk off
the lights.

Graham