Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young

Default Newbie Electrical Question

Since you say that the place is wired for 120V only and that is a 240V
outlet, it seems possible that the previous owner used a 240V heater on 120V
to heat the crawlspace. This would give one-fourth of the rated wattage
which could be quite suitable for the purpose.
Don Young
wrote in message
oups.com...
In another thread, I was asking about heating a crawlspace in my
cottage. Here is a different, follow-up question.

The previous owner (who lived there year round) had a heater in the
crawlspace. The heater doesn't work (and had not thermostat etc
anyway), but the plug he used was usual to me. I must confess that I
am clueless about this stuff, but it looks like this
http://doityourself.com/store/4170171.htm . The place is wire at 120 V
only, and the recepticle is for thinner prongs than the big 220 plugs.
Can anyone tell me what this outlet is? And is it materially different
than a regular outlet (i.e., if I was going to put a heater, is that a
better outlet that a "normal" outlet)? Finally, does anyone know where
I would buy a heater which would fit such an outlet.

Thanks,

Gideon