Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross

Default Last Rough of The Season

George wrote:
As I look out my window at the 8" of new snow and notice the blizzard
warning on the NWS site, I think I must declare an official end to the 2005
bowl season. What's there now will likely be there until next spring, and I
refuse to shovel snow to get at a frozen log that will rust my bandsaw,
freeze my hands and soak my shop. I've got enough roughs on the shelves for
a season or two of normal sales, and I hate frozen wood.

I posted a picture of what happens when you forget that there's now heated
air flowing from those ducts you could block in the summer. Adapted my
methods and did another half-dozen or so pieces since, but that's it. Hard
maple, the stuff with the fermented sap that made the basement smell like
wine. Grew hairy mildew in open 60% air, it was so wet.

From here until April it's dry wood only, unless I turn a chunk of that
firewood stacked awaiting its long-term recycling.

Anyone else make seasonal switches?

I'm getting ready to harvest a large wild cherry in December. It will
finally be cool enough to work without heatstroke and the leaves have
already fallen, so cleanup will be easier. It was 70 degrees today and I
worked up a sweat picking up limbs in the yard.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Half of the people in the world are