Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

Default Any advice on water based stains?

On 11/24/2005 8:29 AM George mumbled something about the following:
"Odinn" wrote in message

Now, I've never known Aspen or Cottonwood to have twisted grain
(chopsticks are typically made of Aspen), but I've never worked with any
of the others.

You've lived a sheltered life. Try splitting a few pieces for kindling and
reconsider.

The interlocked long grain on aspen is what makes it the preferred wood for
matchsticks. It hangs together rather than dropping the flaming end. It
or Balsam were also the preferred woods for cart bottoms and stoneboats,
because you could toss fieldstone in and it would only dent, not split.

Nice stuff

I have no desire to split any more kindlin, did enough of that when I
was a youngster. We only used pine for kindlin and oak to actually
burn. Nowadays I use those starter logs instead. Since I've never
lived in the NE, I've had very little actual contact with Aspen, so,
yes, I guess I've had a sheltered life.

Now, according to
http://www.hardwoodinfo.com/species_...?species=aspen
it is straight grained, and that's what my limited experience with it
has been.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net