Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Default ---BRIDGEPORT Mill Model Q's!!! HEEEELLLLLPPPP!!

BEAR wrote:
BEAR wrote:

Help!

Ok, I put money down on a Bridgeport Mill, SN: 131234 (on the front
end of the area between the ways above the crank that moves the bed
front/back... missing the MOTOR!! But relatively inexpensive, and
local... so far good.

The head looks pretty much like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRIDGEPORT-9-X-4...QQcmdZViewItem

I think that is an old 2-J head. There are a couple different designs,
although the changes are all really just cosmetic. Newer models have
a plate that covers the speed dial, with two slots exposing the current
speed setting. There is a "mask" that blocks the reading for the wrong
High/Low range setting, based on the position of the high/low
range selection. it has high and low speeds marked by a rabbit and a
turtle. The direct drive clutch and the back gear handle are linked to
this by a rod.

Jon