Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Default Dishwasher - dishes in top rack dirty: THE ANSWER!

Brian Sharrock wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message

Lobster wrote:

Have been trying to work out why our dishwasher is no longer cleaning
properly (a 5-yr-old Bosch built-in; can't find a model number).
Basically, stuff on the top rack, and sometimes on the bottom one,
invariably comes out with gritty residue stuck all over it. Things I've
tried out/checked:

- Ensured spray holes in rotor arms aren't blocked;
- Cleaned filter in bottom of machine;
- Opened door mid-cycle to check rotor arms move (but can't tell how
vigourously though)
- Changed detergent (we're in a soft water area so no need for softener)

During the wash, water reaches the upper rotor via a flat grey conduit
attached to the inside of the machine, and which mates up at the back of
the upper rack with an aperture leading to the upper rotor; I'm guessing
that for whatever reason not enough water is getting through? How can I
tell?

One thing I've noticed is that after a cycle, if you lift the filter the
water in the machine's sump is really mucky; is that normal or should it
be basically clean 'rinse' water down there?

As I've just resorted to calling out an engineer to sort out the machine
(cough, spit) I thought I'd report back on the outcome for the benefit of
anyone else similarly afflicted... the guy pulled off the front of the
machine and disconnected a flexible hose which led into the sump, through
which the water circulates throughout the wash. It was totally clogged up
with gunge; once that was cleaned out the machine is working like new.

Don't you just *hate* it when that happens? Oh well, at least I'll know
how to d-i-y it next time it occurs.

Out of interest:: how did the guy 'pull off the front of the machine'?
I see a pull-down door-front .
I'm really interested and will put the info into my 'Just-in-Case'
memory.

Sorry, I was just being a bit flippant - he unscrewed the fixed metal
plinth below the door to access the hose.

David