Roy Hauer

Default slowing my drill press

You have a choice between.a VFD drive or adding a jackshaft to the
existing drillpress. I had this problem, but had difficulties in
getting another pulley that matched what I had. I could get the
diameters, but the spacing between the steps was wrong. Anyhow, I made
a pulley. You can see how I added a jack shaft to my drill press on my
website under my Projects Page. There are a number of ways you can add
this jackshaft, and its not a hard project to do. Cheaper by far than
a VFD drive.

I don't think there is such as thing as being too slow, especially
with a drill press.

Have fun

On 17 Jul 2003 06:17:56 -0700, (Bruce) wrote:

x-I use my drill press mostly to drill metal...very little wood, yet my
x-press, which I was given, was intended to drill wood, so it really
x-runs too fast. I have it set at its slowest ratio setting, but still
x-I think it is too fast. I am planning on switching out the belt
x-pulleys to achieve the speeds I should be running for metal. Thus
x-the questions.....what is a good speed range to target for and what is
x-the formula for pully size? I would like to stay with a set of three
x-step pulleys and have a nice range of metal speed cutting. Most of my
x-drilling is 1/2 inch thickness or less. Too slow is better than too
x-fast....I would guess...right??
x-
x-Thanks

--