Posted to rec.woodworking
gadgetman

Default Any advice on water based stains?

Wayne,
I also like the transTint water based dye stuff. I have never like the
premixed water based stains from the big box stores. A 1/2 to 1 pound
cut of (super blonde) shellac also is a great sealer and helps prevent
blotching. Also, minwax oil gel stains are great in preventing
blotching.
I have used spray toning as well where I mixed up some water based dye
on the wood. I had an antique table with mahogany top and low quality
maple legs. Couldn't get the legs stripped well enough (of lacquer), so
I just spray toned with a dark walnut stain until I got the tone I
wanted worked great, looked great. Spray toning can cover up grain
tho.
Hope that helps,
MBR