Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

Default Dishwasher - dishes in top rack dirty: THE ANSWER!

On 24 Nov 2005 19:30:33 GMT, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
Lobster writes:

As I've just resorted to calling out an engineer to sort out the machine
(cough, spit) I thought I'd report back on the outcome for the benefit
of anyone else similarly afflicted... the guy pulled off the front of
the machine and disconnected a flexible hose which led into the sump,
through which the water circulates throughout the wash. It was totally
clogged up with gunge; once that was cleaned out the machine is working
like new.

Don't you just *hate* it when that happens? Oh well, at least I'll know
how to d-i-y it next time it occurs.

There is some type of grease which dishwasher detergent fails to
dissolve, and it does build up in the pipework eventually blocking
it. You can avoid this by either running the machine with a
dishwasher cleaner occasionally, or by adding one drip of washing
up liquid to each wash, which does dissolve this mistery grease.

There is one type of dishwasher contamination that makes the
dishwasher (and the whole house) smell just like a backstreet garage -
the first and only time I put a few engine parts (actually a cylinder
head) in there for a quick rinse before commencing a rebuild will be
my last. Fortunately SWMBO was away on business for the whole week.
It took me about a dozen dummy washes to get rid of the smell - a
mixture of hot gunk and old engine oil was wafting through the house
every time and I was rapidly running out of ideas. The final desperate
solution with a few hours to spare was to use some shower gel - got
rid of the stink and the dishwasher came up looking like new.