Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

Default Coax cable carries electrical current? What is wrong?

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 22:51:52 -0500, "miamicuse"
wrote:

I got a good quality one to four video splitter so tonight I got up to the
attic and disconnected the old splitter. Nothing unusual.

Then I connect the new cable IN, then one by one I connect the cable OUT.
When I get to the last one I felt a strong tinkling on my finger, you know
when you rub your shoe on the carpet a few times and go touch a metal
railing? Yes that feeling...I dropped the splitter. Is it static? I don't
know. So I touched the splitter, which at that time has the one IN cable
and three OUT cables connected, and nothing, it's OK. Then I let go of the
splitter and touch the last coax cable connector - nothing...so I touched
the splitter with my left hand and the remaining cable connector with my
right hand, yes I feel it again. What is going on?

I then left the attic and when to the other end of that cable, which was at
the time plugged into a VCR, which in turn was connected to the TV and they
were running. I unplugged the connector on this end, went back to the attic
and no more problem. So I hooked the last connector up.

Then I came back down and put the cable connector back to the VCR.

What caused this? Does this mean I have an electrical problem with that TV
or VCR?

Thanks,

MC

In the past I have felt voltage when connecting my cable. There would
be a noticeable voltage between the cable shields (you'd feel it if
holding a splitter while screwing the cable on). This problem seems to
have gone away since the cable company (Cox now) replaced the coax and
added a ground block.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com