Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
william kossack

Default a project from my wife

I coated the bottom with tong oil and poured some inside on the bottom
of the vase also. I'm not sure why but a couple people recommeded
keeping the vase upside down for now

Leo Van Der Loo wrote:
Hi William

William you're probably lucky that you didn't find the forstner bit
extension, good chance that the bid would have seized up in the wet
wood, and no way to get it back out after that !!!

Some more wood in the bottom will help it from tipping over, however it
might be prudent to seal the bottom end grain so as to slow down the end
grain drying faster than the rest of the wood and splitting, I probably
would use thin CA glue, it seals and strengthens the wood.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

william kossack wrote:

I did not get the bottom as thin as I wanted. Initially I tried to
drill the center out but I could not find my forsner bit extension.
When I tried to use a flat drill bit it started to bind in the wet
wood. The depth of the vase and the size of opening left me only my
kelton hollowers for removing material from the bottom. I removed as
much material as I could but had to leave about an inch and a half in
the bottom because it got dark and cold. I decided to finish the vase
and I sanded to 800 and I've put two coats of tong oil. The sides are
maybe 1/4 of an inch thick from top to bottom.

It has been 3 days and I just measured just less than a 1/10th of an
inch of difference in diameter in the mouth max to min dimension. I'm
going to wait a couple weeks before I brag by posting pics