Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default Last Rough of The Season

As I look out my window at the 8" of new snow and notice the blizzard
warning on the NWS site, I think I must declare an official end to the 2005
bowl season. What's there now will likely be there until next spring, and I
refuse to shovel snow to get at a frozen log that will rust my bandsaw,
freeze my hands and soak my shop. I've got enough roughs on the shelves for
a season or two of normal sales, and I hate frozen wood.

I posted a picture of what happens when you forget that there's now heated
air flowing from those ducts you could block in the summer. Adapted my
methods and did another half-dozen or so pieces since, but that's it. Hard
maple, the stuff with the fermented sap that made the basement smell like
wine. Grew hairy mildew in open 60% air, it was so wet.

From here until April it's dry wood only, unless I turn a chunk of that
firewood stacked awaiting its long-term recycling.

Anyone else make seasonal switches?