Posted to rec.woodworking
nospambob

Default Any advice on water based stains?

TransTint dyes from Jeff Jewitt can be mixed with several solutions
like water, alcohol, etc. I use them to mix with a finish then spray
on as a toner. Jeff often suggests spraying dye on bare wood that is
prone to blotch. Visit the forums at www.homesteadfinishing.com and
use the "search" option. Believe he describes application methods
also.

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 22:26:32 -0500, "Nick Bozovich"
wrote:

I just bought some of this Minwax water based stain - blue. I purchased
also the water based wood conditioner. Used both on a project made with
poplar. I was not very please with the results. The stain was hard to work
with, and did not appear to be evenly absorbed. It came out with dark
blotches, and in some spots was only lightly absorbed (not at joints from
glue - I was careful to tape off joints and clean up and sand any squeeze
out)..

Maybe it was the wood species, maybe it was me. I thought poplar was known
to take colors and stain well. (Disclaimer: I'm relatively new to this -
about 8 years.) I sanded all surfaces to 220 before applicaation of the
wood conditioner & stain. After the conditioner, I sanded lightly (per the
directions) with 220 to a smooth satin-like surface.

Just my $.02 - I won't use water based stain again, and will look for
alternatives to Minwax.

Nick B

"wayne mak" wrote in message
I am trying to color match some cabinet doors I bought, I bought 200
kitchen doors they are the American woodcrafter "Maple Spice" finish. I
went to Home Depot and had them order the stain its a 2 part stain, ($38.00
for 2 pints) it seems to be laquer based. Anyhow it doesn't match even
close. I can come some what close with an oil based minwax but still not
what I am looking for.

I have never used the waterbased stains but minwax looks to have a good
selection of mixes and some of the colors look very close to what I am
looking for. How well do the water based stains work ( I will be using
maple) All I need to stain is the outer cabinet frames and some end
cabinets. Minwax has a good amount of info but thats there sight.