Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

Default Any advice on water based stains?

On 11/24/2005 6:59 AM George mumbled something about the following:
"Nick Bozovich" wrote in message
.. .

Maybe it was the wood species, maybe it was me. I thought poplar was
known to take colors and stain well. (Disclaimer: I'm relatively new to
this - about 8 years.) I sanded all surfaces to 220 before applicaation
of the wood conditioner & stain. After the conditioner, I sanded lightly
(per the directions) with 220 to a smooth satin-like surface.

You might have actually had poplar, as in one of the many trees in the
Populus genus. They're known for twisting grain, which gives many different
looks on the same surface.

Yellow-Poplar or Tulip-Poplar, which isn't a poplar at all, is more
consistent.

Water-based stains and their cousins the dyes demand a firm full stroke and
minimum overlap, however. Wood has a great affinity for water, much less
for oil, which is why you get better spread and bend.

Just for the curious. Yellow Poplar (or Tulip Poplar as it is sometimes
known) is a member of the Magnolia family and grow taller than any other
hardwood in the US reaching as tall as 150 ft.

Trees that are from the Populus genus are Aspen, Cottonwood, Lombardy
Poplar, Grey Poplar and White (sometimes called Silver) Poplar.

Now, I've never known Aspen or Cottonwood to have twisted grain
(chopsticks are typically made of Aspen), but I've never worked with any
of the others.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net