Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

Default Getting Straight Edges on long boards

"Doug Houseman" wrote in message
I have a table saw and want to know if the following will work.

If I build a 10 foot long "slider" from a 1x6 and a 1x2 as a back edge,
can I lay a 10 foot long board in it and saw a straight edge on the
other side, or do I really need a joiner?

I am trying to remember how my grandfather did it, without a joiner -
unfortunately I was only 12 when he passed away and do not have a
complete memory of how he did it.

He probably attached the rough board to one with an already milled edge,
then put the milled edge against the table saw fence to cut a straight edge
on the rough board.

That's the idea ... there are a number of ways to accomplish it, probably
with what you've already got in your shop, if you give it some thought

I have just gotten boards from a sawmill with natural edges and I want
to turn them into square boards.

Does your project really call for 10' boards? It's a lot easier to crosscut
your material to rough project size, then do your squaring/milling.

That way any jigs you make to give you that first reference edge can be
smaller, easier to use and store.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05