Posted to rec.woodworking
George

Default Getting Straight Edges on long boards

"Doug Houseman" wrote in message
I have a table saw and want to know if the following will work.

If I build a 10 foot long "slider" from a 1x6 and a 1x2 as a back edge,
can I lay a 10 foot long board in it and saw a straight edge on the
other side, or do I really need a joiner?

I am trying to remember how my grandfather did it, without a joiner -
unfortunately I was only 12 when he passed away and do not have a
complete memory of how he did it.

I have just gotten boards from a sawmill with natural edges and I want
to turn them into square boards.

Thanks in advance.

First question - how are you going to get straight edges on the material
for your slider? You certainly won't get them in construction lumber.

Second question - what are you making that needs 10 foot boards and you
can't justify the expense of a jointer?

Normal Neanderthal is snap a chalk line, rip leaving the line, plane by
hand.

Tailed tool depends on getting a known straight edge to work a saw or router
against, or to run on the fence of your tablesaw. It might remain straight
until the second time it hits the floor.

Unless you need ten foot lengths, crosscut first and simplify your problems.
Then you can take flip/flop nibble passes on a piece of ply to get straight
and parallel sides for your tablesaw carriage or router fence.

I take it this is surfaced lumber? If not, leave it in its natural state
until you're actually going to use it, then edge and thickness the boards
required.