Posted to alt.home.repair
Beachcomber

Default Coax cable carries electrical current? What is wrong?

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 22:51:52 -0500, "miamicuse"
wrote:

I got a good quality one to four video splitter so tonight I got up to the
attic and disconnected the old splitter. Nothing unusual.

Then I connect the new cable IN, then one by one I connect the cable OUT.
When I get to the last one I felt a strong tinkling on my finger, you know
when you rub your shoe on the carpet a few times and go touch a metal
railing? Yes that feeling...I dropped the splitter. Is it static? I don't
know. So I touched the splitter, which at that time has the one IN cable
and three OUT cables connected, and nothing, it's OK. Then I let go of the
splitter and touch the last coax cable connector - nothing...so I touched
the splitter with my left hand and the remaining cable connector with my
right hand, yes I feel it again. What is going on?

I then left the attic and when to the other end of that cable, which was at
the time plugged into a VCR, which in turn was connected to the TV and they
were running. I unplugged the connector on this end, went back to the attic
and no more problem. So I hooked the last connector up.

Then I came back down and put the cable connector back to the VCR.

What caused this? Does this mean I have an electrical problem with that TV
or VCR?

Thanks,

MC

Although Coax Cables are routinely configured to carry DC for
satellite dish LNA's and LNB's, your problem sounds like a ground
fault (one or more of your devices) is not grounded properly. It
could be the device itself or it could be that the electrical outlet
the device is plugged into has a poor or non-existent ground. If your
source is Cable TV, the ground fault could be coming into your house
from the cable company.

Get a voltmeter and check for potential difference between the outer
conductors shield before you connect. This is more accurate than
getting "shocked".

Beachcomber