Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Default Hardening drill rod - how to avoid dimensional changes?

Siggy wrote:

Problem is that after hardening, the diameter of the parts increased
anywhere from .0005 to .0007. Of course, they are now unusable. I hardened
them by heating to bright red then quenching in water.

Generally, steel will always change it's size when hardened. This is due
to the fact that the carbon-atom changes it's position in the crystal.
But there are special steels that will not react that much when
hardened. I think they are called "invar". But I can't give you any
numbers because they are hard to obtain and also we (Krauts) have an
other nomenclature.

In your case, I would just lapp/oilstone the parts down.

Nick
PS: Thanks for another set of nice plans in MEB!
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de