Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Ryobi Table Saw?

"Dick" wrote in message

I am considering the purchase of a Ryobi
10 In. Portable Table Saw (model BTS15) at Home Depot priced at $139.00 &
am looking for any thoughts from people familiar with this saw. I am
strictly a DIY'er looking for an inexpensive saw for light use but don't
want to throw away my money either.

Like any cheap tool, it will cut, but has limitations. I had a cheap saw
and it got me by for a couple of years until I decided that I like
woodworking and started to make bigger and better projects.

Incrementally, you are in the low end, but to get much better, you'd have to
spend at least $400, maybe $600. Next step is closer to $1000, and the best
cabinet saw is about $1500 and up.

If you plan to make a half dozen cuts a year, it may be the best buy for
you. Making shelves for the garage or toys for the kids, it will be fine.
If you plan to expand and make much nicer fixtures and furniture, save up
and buy in the $500 range. If you decide to advance, the $139 saw is a good
gift to a brother in law when you step up.

What you get is better accuracy of the fence, easier to set. Bigger table
from cast iron, more power for thicker material, ease of use. My big
complaint with the small saw is the inability to cross cut anything wider
than a 1 x 6. Next is the sloppy fit of the miter. Smaller saws often will
not accept a dado blade. But it did cut and I did make stuff. You can see
some of the doll furniture on my web page made on a cheap Craftsman saw.

You will want to invest in a better blade rather soon. Good blades start at
about $50 and go up to $150.

You also will want to learn to use it safely. Make a couple of push sticks,
never use the miter and fence at the same time, never put your hands within
a few inches of the blade, support the work when ripping long boards. I
have no fear of my saw, but I have a lot of respect for it.

--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/