Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Safety Awareness!

raden wrote:
In message , Dave Fawthrop
writes
On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 16:08:05 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

The number plate reading cameras in Bradford got the number of the getaway
car of the gang who killed the policewoman. Lead them straight to a gang
in London. Other number plate reading cameras then tracked it down the M1.

I thought that it said on the news tonight that they'd ALL been released
without trial - in other words, they detained the wrong people

Whether in one particular case it got them or not, does this justify
universal surveillance? We could catch many more criminals if everyones
house were wired up for centrally controlled surveillance. Is it worth
it? Is it what we want? Or should surveillance be carried out just on
people where there is a genuinely good reason to do so.

Our freedoms are being whittled away quite quickly at the moment, yet
there seem little awareness on the issues in Britain.

NT