Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default Air Compressors - how many bar

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 23:43:43 +0000, Peter Parry
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 23:29:05 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

Since the compressor is relatively large, it is hoisted high up out of
the way in the roof space of the workshop.

How do you manage the condensate water drain from the tank with this
installation (roof space mounting of a compressor is an option I'm
looking at for a friends workshop)?

I used an automatic electronic condensate drain made by Domnick Hunter
- RS carry a similar one - stock code 386-3422. I was fortunate to
get a very good deal on one when I was buying a whole load of stuff
for the project - normally they are about £100, but I paid around £40,
which I thought reasonable for the convenience.

The principle of these is that they fit under the compressor receiver
and condensate trickles down into a reservoir with a float switch
which triggers a solenoid operated valve. There is a breather pipe
which can be implemented in flexible tube that is connected to a tee
into the location where the regulator goes on the top. The whole
chamber remains under pressure. When the chamber fills, the valve
operates for a second or two and compressed air forces the water out
through a second tube. I run that into a large container which I
empty periodically - although it could go straight outside.

An alternative would be to use a mechanical automatic tank drain. Most
of the air equipment manufacturers like Norgren, SMC, Parker etc. make
these e.g. RS stock code 234-1987 Prices around £35 or so. I would
have gone for one of these had it not been for getting the electric
one for a similar price. I have fitted one of these mechanical
drains at each far corner of the airline pipework at a low point - the
pipework is arranged with a slight slope to deal with it.
A bit of air is lost with these, but I don't think that that matters a
lot.

There are various installation options for these devices under
compressor receivers, and the larger compressors have a venting
fitting with a 3/8 thread in the bottom which can be removed.

The main issue was having enough height underneath the compressor to
fit the drain accessory. Some of the larger ones come with wheels
etc. To get around this issue and to improve noise and vibration
(not that this compressor is noisy as its a belt drive running
relatively slowly) I made a mount consisting of two rectangular timber
frames one above the other. I fitted the two together using
Paulstradyn anti-vibration mounts. e.g RS 367-8785
The compressor is bolted to the top frame and the bottom one in my
case just sits on the boarded area in the roof.
For good measure, I fitted eye bolts so that I can hoist the
compressor up into the roof space.

The results are impressive. The compressor runs very quietly and the
drain pops perhaps once a day or so if I'm using air tools for most of
the day. Having the thing out of the way is a significant space
saver as well.

--

..andy