Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default Air Compressors - how many bar

On 23 Nov 2005 14:50:00 -0800, "Rick"
wrote:

Intend buying a new Air Compressor, up to now have used an 8 bar Clarke
model.

Looking at Machine Mart they have loads of compressors, many with
little difference between them ... looking for a 24 litre air receiver
.... Again there is plenty of choice .... But the key thing is Air
Pressure ..... majority are 8 bar models 1.5hp ..... but you can get
10 bar, but they are about 45% more expensive.

I was just about to buy an 8bar 7cfm model on sale as a special at a
big discount, and then chickened out at last moment. (would be more
than double price to get the equivalent 10bar model)

Trying to understand if/why I would need 10 bar, all my air nailers
etc. run at around 6 bar or less.
When do you need 10 bar? .... Assume it can't be for spraying as here
it would be cfm that is important not an extra 2 bar of pressure.

Anybody any idea ?

I have a 10bar,2.2kW 150 litre compressor for my workshop airline ring
main system (SIP 06646)

http://www.worldofpower.co.uk/acatal...fessional.html

However, I was more concerned about having plentiful air storage and
delivery rate than absolute pressure. The 10bar aspect came with
that.

I use a number of air tools which use a lot of air as well as doing
spraying. I also have a number of medium air use nailers and
similar which, as you say, are happy at around 6 bar, and assorted
things such as tyre inflaters and blow guns. There are then some
pneumatic clamps and similar that I use on my table saw.

The compressor is connected directly to the ring main and then there
are drops to filter/regulator/lubricator units, e.g.

https://secure.thorite.co.uk/Product..._unit_885.html

which give adjustable pressure outlets with and without misted oil
lubrication for nailers etc.

Since the compressor is relatively large, it is hoisted high up out of
the way in the roof space of the workshop. Clearly I don't want to
keep climbing up and down the ladder to change the pressure for
different purposes.

Having the 10bar maximum does mean that the motor runs less frequently
during operation. However, the things to look for in choosing a
compressor are the air production rate and receiver size, considering
the application.

If you are mainly using nailers and the like, the 24litre type that
you mention is more than adequate. It would also do a reasonable
amount of spraying. If you wanted to use heavier air use tools or
do a lot of spraying, then a more substantial compressor would be a
good idea.

These smaller models also have a regulator and you can add a
lubricator if you want it.

--

..andy