Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

Default Air Compressors - how many bar

"Rick" wrote in message
oups.com...
Intend buying a new Air Compressor, up to now have used an 8 bar Clarke
model.

Looking at Machine Mart they have loads of compressors, many with
little difference between them ... looking for a 24 litre air receiver
.... Again there is plenty of choice .... But the key thing is Air
Pressure ..... majority are 8 bar models 1.5hp ..... but you can get
10 bar, but they are about 45% more expensive.

I was just about to buy an 8bar 7cfm model on sale as a special at a
big discount, and then chickened out at last moment. (would be more
than double price to get the equivalent 10bar model)

Trying to understand if/why I would need 10 bar, all my air nailers
etc. run at around 6 bar or less.
When do you need 10 bar? .... Assume it can't be for spraying as here
it would be cfm that is important not an extra 2 bar of pressure.

Anybody any idea ?

Sand blasters need the higher capacity and some of the tools like needle
scalers etc. One difference to look for (regardless of size) is 'oil free'
or otherwise.

Cic.