Posted to alt.home.repair
StLouisSus

Default Ever-Popular Bathroom Window Dilemma

I love this group - it's so good for me, a budding do-it-yourselfer.

I've read through almost all previous postings on windows but I still
feel like I haven't found good answers to my questions:

Option 1 - Existing
I live in a 1920s brick cottage and I'm considering remodeling the
bathroom. Right now it's galley style with a tall double hung window.
The problem is that the window comes about 3 inches into the shower's
space, so there isn't a good way to put up door or hang a shower
curtain rod. I have a curved rod that makes a 90 degree angle back to
the long wall but it's drooping down with the lack of support. Very
unappealing. If anyone has another simple idea for this
curtain/door/window problem please let me know.

Option 2 - Remodel
Or, the second option is to reorient the shower to run along the rear
wall; this puts the window inside the long wall of the shower. I love
this idea because I would love large sliding glass doors to allow the
light from the large window to come into the bathroom. However, this
brings in the eternal window-in-shower question: I would love to
maintain the character of the wooden-double hung window (my house is on
the corner and this window is highly visible from the street). I don't
think glass block would be aesthetically super, and I have similar
problems with vinyl. Does anyone know of a good way to keep a
wood-framed or wood casement window in this shower? What about boat
paint? Is there a way to slightly angle the sill to facilate runoff?
Or, if I did go with vinyl casement, how do you frame that in? With
tile? And then you seal the joints with caulk?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.