Posted to alt.home.repair
Abe

Default How to catch window assist spring???

Thanks for the suggestions. The thing that is driving me crazy is that 15
years ago when I moved in, I fixed several of the windows by grabbing the
springs, but I don't recall how I did it, exactly. I have tried the several
versions of the coat hanger recently, without any luck. I'm not sure if a
crochet hook would get a purchase on the spring coil as there is no gap
between the individual wires in the coil. I'm sure the sash removal would
work, but it means prying off the wood work and all the associated paint
damage. Thanks again.

Magnet on a string?