Posted to rec.woodworking
Drew Eckhardt

Default Drill Press: variable speed vs. multi-speed

In article . com,
TheNewGuy wrote:
Hey all,

If one looks at the Delta 16-1/2 floor DPs, there is a LARGE (double!)
difference in price between the VS(17-925) and the multi-speed(17-965,
with 16 speeds).

Why?

Is there anything more substantial to the differences between these two
machines than this?

The motor that came with my 17-965 vibrated enough that without a link-belt
wood would walk off the table. The local motor shop (authorized Delta
Warranty center) said cheap Chinese motors did that.

The first warranty replacement may be a little better although it makes
a strange rattling noise when run in a vertical position.

The second warranty replacement feels the same on when run on the ground,
although I haven't tried mounting it yet.

The drill-press seems well built, has no play in the quill, runout was on
the order of .001", but the motors suck. Customer service at Delta was
excellent apart from the few month back order waiting for a slow boat
from China. Maybe the 17-925 is a better quality machine otherwise?

I wouldn't buy another 17-965.

--
a href="http://www.poohsticks.org/drew/"Home Page/a
In 1913 the inflation adjusted (in 2003 dollars) exemption for single people