Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe AutoDrill

Default Drill Press: variable speed vs. multi-speed

I _am_ concerned about burning the hole. G

If the hole won't be visible, then a bit of burn is OK, and as long as the
temperature stays below bit damaging range, all is well.

That probably explains it. Most of our folks are doing either clearance
holes in structural parts (where a burn edge is better I hear?!?) or many
holes down the length of a part where other parts will be inserted such as
railings, fence post tops, dowel holes, etc.

The only time we had a customer who wanted to go slower was when they wanted
to build a machine that did the door knob, loclset and hardware holes in
three automated steps... And the door had a plastic skin.

If the hole will be visible, I don't want crappy looking burnt edges in
drilled holes.

Big bits get hot fast.

Yep.

Happy Thanksgiving BTW.