Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robin S.

Default Hardening drill rod - how to avoid dimensional changes?

Robert,
Lacking proper grinding capabilities, you should be able to spin polish
the
hardened parts to achieve size. It's the common way to accomplish close
tolerance work, heat treated or not, under such a circumstance. It
requires a little skill to achieve without rounding edges, but it's
certainly possible, assuming the turned lengths are not short.

Harold,

Do you have specific pointers on how to do this? I don't specifically have a
need to know, but I'm sure other would appreciate some insight.

Things like using a stone vs. emery cloth/paper, grits, SFPM, and hand
technique. Sounds like a neat trick.

Regards,

Robin