Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott

Default Hardening drill rod - how to avoid dimensional changes?

DE wrote:

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 13:42:13 GMT, "Siggy"
wrote:

I made several tight toleranced parts yesterday. All of them about .2800"
round with a number of different diameter steps that call for tolerances
down to .0003. I made them from W-1 drill rod. The parts turned out nicely
with all fits and tolerances just right. Then I hardened them...

Problem is that after hardening, the diameter of the parts increased
anywhere from .0005 to .0007. Of course, they are now unusable. I hardened
them by heating to bright red then quenching in water.

I'm wondering what I can do the next time to avoid this problem? Could it
be that I heated the part too hot before quenching? Does W-1 always have
this problem and/or is there a better steel to use? Thanks for all
suggestions.

Robert

A Dremel is easy to improvise as a tool post grinder. I can shoot you
some pics if you need a looksee.
DE

Could you put them in the drop box, please?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services