Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Larry Caldwell

Default Hardwood not hard, softwood not soft! (necessarily)

In article ,
(Bill) says...

"Softwood trees are conifers (evergreens), have needles or scale-like
foliage and are not deciduous. Softwoods are gymnosperms, meaning they do
not have flowers and use cones for seed reproduction. Examples of softwoods
include pines, spruces, firs and hemlocks."

I have my doubts about this article. One of my favorite flowers is the
sugar pine blossom, which is a great big flower about 5" in diameter
that blossoms in the early spring. Incense cedar is blossoming now, and
the scent of cedar blossoms is filling the air. The dawn redwood is
deciduous in cool climates, while madrone (arbutus menziesi) is a broad
leaf, flowering evergreen with deciduous bark.

Anyway, conifers definitely have blossoms. In some cases they are even
showy. The cone is just a seed case that appears after the blossom
fades.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc