Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del

Default HDTV freq. allocations, converter box availability info?

wrote:
......... There was talk of converter boxes being made available.
Will this be the case and will they be reasonably priced?

They've always been available, and lots of guys bought these instead of
dedicated HDTV generators required for servicing. Although they were
$2000 or so, they were still cheaper than the generators. That said,
the last accessory catalogue I got in had HDTV tuners for less than
$300. I don't know the specs or quality of these.

But remember that since HDTV is basically computer hardware, the
continuing decline of the cost of faster processors and memory will
affect the cost of these converters. Factor in the demand (which
doesn't exist now), and I guarantee that basic HDTV tuner\converters
will cost $50 or less by the time analogue broadcasting ceases.

John

.....I guess I'm going to have to get a couple for my Philco Predictas.