Posted to alt.electronics

Default Solar Trickle Charge

Well, you sure have a way with words, don't you? "**** you"? as a
reasoned response??

"Being voltage sources, I would have thought that they would be be
better suited to feed loads which relied on a constant-voltage,
variable current source"

It's fairly well known that any battery, any COMMON battery, will last
longer if the current demands on it are less that it's maximum possible
output. Period.

Hogwash. If you grossly deplete the capacity of a lead-acid or
calcium-lead-acid battery by _any_ means, the battery will be
damaged. In order to keep that from happening, if your wife's
ignorance is the culprit, you need to train her up on the proper
operation of a motor vehicle.

That is, assuming you have a clue.

The whole point of deep cycle batteries is that they can BETTER
withstand such treatment. I never claimed that it is GOOD for them.
(Now who dosen't have a clue?) As for my wife, I suppose YOUR superior
intelect has prevented you from EVER forgetting to turn off your
headlights. But the rest of us mere mortals have done it a time or two.
Watch what you say about peoples wives... Some people a touchy about
having jerks insult them.

"Got data? "

Sure, just go READ any manufacturer's data sheets.

"Your point being...?"

To give advice as to what to look for. The orginial poster was asking
about stand by power sources, and in my personal experience, that
advice was, and is, solid. I'll take experience over your snide flaming
anyday.

"Trust you?

**** you"

My my, for one with such an overblown vocabulary, such language.
Who the hell asked you for that, anyways? For that matter, who the
hell deserves that, from you, or anyone, when all they were trying to
do was to offer helpful advice? You apparently are intolerant of any
opinion other than your own. Must have had a bad day. By the way, I was
unaware that you personally owned this group.

"So far you haven't demonstrated that you know what you're talking
about. "

So, this is all about PROOF? I'm sure you are far more capable of
offering huge, scientific formulae than I am. I was offering advice,
not writing to a peer reviewed scientific journal.

"guess you've never heard of a voltage regulator... "

Sure I have. I said ORGINALLY... Back in the days of tubes. Voltage
regulators weren't so easy to come by. The days of one chip highly
accurate voltage regulators hadn't yet come.

"Got an example? "

Yea, look at the schematic of any modern gear... They have the
aforementioned voltage regulators in them. Guess you can't hold a
thought for more than one sentence.

"Really? "

Yes, really. They also often won't take computers, microwave ovens,
TVs, and a whole laundry list of other things.

"Why would that be true? That is, if the UPS dies and its batteries
are removed and it's sent to the landfill, what would be hazardous
about its disposal? "

Because they contain, among other things, lead, tin, copper, caustic
paste, (Capacitors) sometimes cadmium, nickel, and a lot of other
things that I wouldn't want in my drinking water. If you do, that's
fine with me. Around here, people are adverse to poisoning their
drinking water.

"Your "help" will certainly be self-serving and email will only lock
the unsuspecting ignoranti into your line of reasoning without
exposing them to the truth. "

You are out of your mind. How is anything I said "Self Serving"? I'm
not selling anything. Nor am I trying to convert anyone's "line of
reasoning" to anything. Exposing them to what TRUTH? (And what "THEM? I
was replying to ONE person!)
What I did was, I offered the benefit of my experience, nothing more or
less. Apparently, the only TRUTH you are concerned about is your own.
I'm not trying to PROVE anything. So, you calling me a liar or what?
Man, you are one paranoid son of a bitch.

"Any questions should be sent to the newsgroup, where they can be
examined and debated, as opposed to being sent directly to you,
where you can use subterfuge to try to bend the querants' wills to
your own. "

Fine, if you want to see the same subject "Beaten to death". as the
original poster put it.
As for the email thing, I was NOT trying to avoid anything, other than
clogging up the group with repetitive questions.
What I WAS trying to do was: Be helpful. But not to worry, I'll never
make THAT mistake again. I misunderstood the purpose of the whole
'groups" concept. I was unaware that it was the personal domain of a
single GODlike egomaniac.

You apparently like to show off your vocabulary, (Even to the point of
proving, as you like to do, that you know how to use vulgarity to
insult) But I assure you, I have no interest in using "Subterfuge" to
bend anyone's will to anything: Again, I'm NOT selling anything. You
give me too much credit... I doubt very much if I could "use subterfuge
to try to bend the querants' wills to your own. "

WHY the hell would I even WANT to do such a thing?
You must think I'm some sort of hypnotist, and that I can work my magic
through email. If that were true, I'd be rich.

But, since you are SUCH an expert on everything under the sun, I'll
just let you answer everything. Jerk.

If you intended to shoo away any new people, you are well on your way
to getting your wish. Too bad you aren't here in person, because where
I come from, people who offer un-called for insults to a man's wife and
utter 'fighting words' is likely to get a whole new kind of
'education'.
And finally, since I wasn't even talking to you to begin with, who
cares? Youv'e proven, and you seem to love your proofs, what you are
really made of.
Bye bye. I can get insulted in anyone of several thousands of other
groups. This one has nothing to offer me that I can't get elsewhere.
Junkman