Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Smith

Default Drill Press: variable speed vs. multi-speed

In article ,
"Leon" wrote:

"TheNewGuy" wrote in message
ups.com...

And 2ndly, from a woodworkers use POV, is there any practical
difference btwn. true VS and multi-speed? (Ease-of-use, yes...)

I have had a Rockwell multi speed drill press for about 27 years. I seldom
change speeds. IMHO unless you are using the drill press daily for a
variety of reasons go with the multi speed vs. the variable speed. You
really do not need all those in between speeds and typically manually
changing speeds on the multi speed units is pretty simple and trouble free.

I'll go even further than that -- go for something with a reasonable number
of speeds (like 5), and don't get sucked into thinking more speeds is
better. I bought a Jet 17" drill press which has 12 speeds, selected by
changing two belts (there's an idler shaft between the motor and the
quill). It's a pain in the neck to move the belts, and you have to look up
on a little chart which combination of pulleys give you the desired speed.

A normal 5-speed single-belt system spanning the same range of speeds is
just as useful and a lot easier to use. There's no speed setting chart; if
it's too fast, move the belt up. If it's too slow, move it down. Simple.
Even I can figure it out. I can't think of any job where 900 RPM wouldn't
be just as good as 840 or 1065 RPM.