Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

Default Manufacturer Supplied Replacement Parts-Delta DP350 [OT Rant-Sort Of]

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 01:42:58 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Greg
quickly quoth:

I was in the electronics business since... well... since 5U4's were
mounted in the tops of power transformers of B&W Philco's and Zenith's
contained Cobra tone arms - but I was a mere child at the time. ;-)

Vacuum tubes y'say, Gramps? Got it.

I guess I just got tired of reading about trolls, kooks, caners,
phishing, beating your children, not beating your children, which saw
to buy, how many people died today in Iraq, how rude or useless the
Orange/Blue/Green Borg was today, and other such stuff.

Join us on the anti-Delta bandwagon.

Stupid post, in retrospect, but I guess my point was that it seems
more like price gouging than anything. Various electronics parts

Yeah, the other arm of Searz is doing that very thing. I got nailed
$32 for a freezer motor, a simple, open-coiled thing with a small
plastic fan. It was for a 20+ y/o Coldspot a decade ago. When I heard
the price, I just about soiled the floor. I greased it twice and got
by for another year each time, then it went out completely. I was
forced to pay their price. First they took a pound of my skin and a
gallon of my blood with their tools as they broke, then they took all
my greenbacks. Is it a wonder that I abhor Crapsman and Searz?

And I'd bet you a turnip that I'm not the only one to have had this
switch fail, it's probably a pretty fast turnover - which is why it's
out of stock. This is, after all, a two year old, current production,
widely marketed product.

So you're saying that a new Delta switch is supposed to go out after
only 1 or 2 years' normal use? Get thee behind me, Delta!

I would say, if you can, by pass the faulty switch and install a good
quality one at a much cheaper cost some where else on the stand or machine.

Cheap hack, you say? I suppose that befits a Searz or Delta.

Yeah, the _real_ reason for the post was to alert others to the
existence of a commonly available replacement switch, that while not
of exactly matching design, is a snap-in replacement with an adequate
amperage/HP rating. It's where I said:

Or maybe I'll just go pick up a quality, American made Philmore 30-866
lighted rocker switch - it snaps right in and has a genuine UL
listing. Cost? $3.95.

You probably got bored by that point. ;-)

He may well have, or he overlooked it.

How many hours of research did you have to go through to find that
replacement, Greg?

Besides, Delta paints their crap gray. I hate gray. They can keep 'em.
Griz Green is the color for me.

I sent in my $5, so * http://www.diversify.com/stees.html
why haven't I been 'saved'? * Graphic Design - Humorous T-shirts