Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.engr.joining.welding
Boris Mohar

Default Uses for Old UPSes

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:05:54 -0500, "Brent Atkerson"
wrote:

This one interests me. Wonder how many small UPSs you could run from a
truck battery (assuming using heavy enough cables between each UPS and each
battery [when needed for the 24 volt input]). I am sure you would have to
leave the vehicle running if running the UPSs for any length of time or
heavy load... Probably pretty basic questions but I am kind of interested
because I have a couple laying around and never thought of using them as an
inverter (powered by a vehicle). That would make a neat addition to a
garden tractor or something too...

Better check first if the UPS can handle a log term run of a battery. It
might be that it was designed for a short term, just to give you enough time
to power everything down properly. Longer runt time might cause some
marginal designs to overheat.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see: