Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Antifreeze in the Oil filler!..

tony sayer wrote:
Chris Bacon writes
Paul ( Skiing8 ) wrote:
I would not got the full 10,000 miles or whatever till the next change

I wouldn't do that anyway - change the oil more frequently
than recommended. If it says 6,000 miles, change at 4,000
and if it says 10,000 change at 6,000. Use good oil, too.
Take note of time intervals between changes on little-used
cars as well.

Thanks for all who replied. Oil drained, flushed with flushing oil and
refilled with the pukka stuff, new filter, and all done at 55 Quid

Do be careful with flushing oil, especially in high mileage engines
with infrequent oil changes. There's a lot of baked on crud in the
oilways on older engines, and flushing oil (or diesel lubricating oil
for that matter) has a higher proportion of solvents that can dislodge
these deposits.

Just a warning.

Personally, i've never used a flushing oil and my engines have lasted
to near on 200K miles in some cases ...

Cheers

Paul.