Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Crosland

Default Septic tank upgrade.

Even if you fit the most expensive digester you can find, the only
cure the drainage problem is loads of land drains, almost horizontal.

My advice, based on what I did a couple of years ago: keep the
existing tank, fit dip pipes if there aren't any, then dig out the
largest area you can manage for the soakaway.

My soakaway is about 100m in total, laid in terraces to keep them
horizontal, and on top of the heavy clay. And the best bit is, it's
all in my next-door neighbours garden!

I assume you got consent from the Enviroment Agency for this scheme? If not
you may find it impossible to sell your house quite apart from any penaties
the EA may impose.

Peter Crosland