Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheScullster

Default Safety Awareness!

"Snowball" wrote:

It's coming to that time of the year again when stories like 'THIS'
(http://www.diyplace.co.uk/blog/) are becoming more common.

A point worthy of mention any time of year.
Unfortunately, there seems to be some sort of "loss-of-face" associated with
the use of safety gear.
Going back to my apprenticeship days, late 70s, this was certainly the case
in the engineering work place at least.

Recently I had some renovation works done on an existing extension and was
horrified to see the builder (very competent in many ways) cutting through a
glazed drain with a Stil (sp) saw - no eye protection and no mask. He was
working on a drain that disappeared under the house wall, so it was akin to
a confined space. The guy all but vanished in the cloud of dust and drain
fragments.

In this case, the weather could not be blamed. So either he is lazy or this
is entrenched poor working practice for the reasons outlined above.

Phil