Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

Default loud neighbour

wrote:
Hi,

I'm having a serious problem, and I was wondering if anyone can help
with it. I live in an apartment building. My neighbour below me
always invites friends over, plays loud music, etc. I hear him till
the wee hours DAILY!!! It's seriously driving me insane! Even after
I warn him, he keeps going. My landlord sent him a letter, but as I
am writing this e-mail, I can still hear his TV on (he's watching Star
Wars). Is there anything I can do to add some sound insulation. My
apartment is not very big, the floors are made of wood. Someone
please help me!!!

You have choices:

I. Get your neighbor to act civilized
A. Threaten neighbor with sanctions (eviction, etc.)
1. Often works
2. Cheap
B. Tete-a-tete
1. Almost never works
2. Escalates into violence
C. Appeasment
1. Payments
2. Gifts, such as earphones
D. Overwhelming violence or other sanction, with no warning, at first
infraction
1. Always works
2. Must be of sufficient intensity as to inhibit retaliation or
reporting
3. Usually involves blood with bones sticking out, massive property
damage, or lawyer-inducing litigation (such as restraining orders). Whatever
the event, it must instill abject fear of worse to come.

II. Accomodate the uncivilized behavior, in this case:
A. Soundproofing or other mitigation
1. Carpeting, false flooring, etc.
2. Landlord, after sufficient notice, should be billed for the
renovation.
B. Earplugs (my favorite)

III. Move. Be sure to notify your landlord that his inaction to fix a
reported nusiance has resulted in a constructive eviction of you, a breaking
of the lease.