Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray L. Volts

Default HDTV freq. allocations, converter box availability info?

"Ken Layton" wrote in message
oups.com...
I for one am not happy the government is shoving this new television
standard down our throats. There was nothing wrong with our present
television broadcasting system that has worked so well for 60 years. I
don't want to throw away a perfectly working tv set even if it might be
30 or 40 years old and I sure as hell don't want to buy one of those
overpriced 'new-fangled' ones. HDTV who needs it anyway? Does it make
the tv program story any better? No. Does it make the acting better?
No.

Does color make the program story any better? No. Does color make the
acting better? No. But I'll bet you bought a color tv before they quit
making B&W sets -- assuming from your post that you're in that age bracket.
And I'll bet you were glad to have color.

Once this 'changeover' becomes effective the major broadcast networks
will literally lose millions of viewers like me who will simply stop
watching tv altogether if our sets no longer work.

Haven't they already lost viewers whose primary concerns are the "story" and
the "acting" quality? Much of today's programming is utter garbage.
Reality shows? Puhleeeze.. merely a lazy way to maximize profits, as they
are ultra cheap to produce and yield tons of advertising dollars. Too bad
so many people watch this trash, cuz as long as they do, that's what we're
gonna get more of! When there's an original idea worthy of devoting viewing
time to, the genius programming execs kill it before it has a chance to grow
a following. If it isn't an _instant_ ratings smash, it's history.

Personally, I look forward to watching my favorite movies from yesteryear on
the larger, higher-res screen via the new HD transfers. It's a LOT closer
to film quality than NTSC at least, and since I can't own the original
studio prints...
As you might surmise, I'm less enthusiastic about future tv programming
content, as its quality is likely to decline even more by 2009, despite its
increasing volume.