Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

Default Solar

On 22 Nov 2005 14:54:03 -0800 someone who may be
wrote this:-

Commercial solar HW systems are a great way to throw your money away.

They are certainly not going to have a short payback period.
However, the same is true of double glazing. There are plenty of
other reasons for installing solar hot water systems than payback
period.

Suggest looking at solar flat plate space heating, less cost, more heat
gain.

Far more expensive if one is going to produce enough heat for a
house. A major problem is that the heat is available in the summer,
but needed in the winter. It might make a contribution in spring and
autumn, when there are relatively sunny days and cold nights. Such
heating is ideal in warm places with cold nights, such as deserts.

I suggest the original poster looks at two companies:

1) if they have no requirement for extra water storage and their
existing cylinder is well lagged.
www.solartwin.com which involves
less work.

2) if they want extra water storage or their existing cylinder is
not well lagged. http://www.imaginationsolar.com/ which involves
more work but produces a better result.

Both avoid mains powered pumps, which has many advantages.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh