Posted to sci.electronics.repair
J Kelly

Default HDTV freq. allocations, converter box availability info?

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 19:53:40 -0500, Ol' Duffer
wrote:

In article .com,
says...
I for one am not happy the government is shoving this new television
standard down our throats. There was nothing wrong with our present
television broadcasting system that has worked so well for 60 years.

As often happens with new technologies, I fear that it will be used
to make things more profitable rather than higher quality. More
specifically, the digital standard is capable of very high resolution,
but I bet a lot of broadcasters will instead use it for multiple
channels of poor quality.

But there are technical advantages, like much more efficient spectrum
use letting broadcasters replace a roomfull of power-hungry class A
klystrons with an efficient solid state box not much bigger than a
microwave oven that covers the same square miles.

If you say so. We will replace 3 klystrons with a 48 DTV amplifier
modules. They take up as much space as the Klystron transmitter. We
anticipate saving at best 50% on our electric bill. VHF stations that
are forced to UHF will see HUGE electric bill increases to cover the
same area.