Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ol' Duffer

Default HDTV freq. allocations, converter box availability info?

In article .com,
says...
I for one am not happy the government is shoving this new television
standard down our throats. There was nothing wrong with our present
television broadcasting system that has worked so well for 60 years.

As often happens with new technologies, I fear that it will be used
to make things more profitable rather than higher quality. More
specifically, the digital standard is capable of very high resolution,
but I bet a lot of broadcasters will instead use it for multiple
channels of poor quality.

But there are technical advantages, like much more efficient spectrum
use letting broadcasters replace a roomfull of power-hungry class A
klystrons with an efficient solid state box not much bigger than a
microwave oven that covers the same square miles.

Once this 'changeover' becomes effective the major broadcast networks
will literally lose millions of viewers like me who will simply stop
watching tv altogether if our sets no longer work.

As always, expect prices to come down as the products become mainstream.
There will probably be more new viewers entering the market than old
timers dropping out. Most of us will adapt to the changing conditions,
maybe send flowers to your funeral, and get on with our lives.