Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default Repairing Door.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
. ..
Pat wrote:
To replace the door which is curved would require removing and
rebuilding the frame, which given how this frame was built would
require redoing the stucco.. So this would be a really big job. Bigger
than repairing the door? I don't know yet.

Why not reproduce the door. Curved doors can still be produced.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Reproduction maybe for a price far exceeding $2k. Even a quality flat wood
door can exceed $1k

Have you considered a wood epoxy filler. These can be molded like putty and
after hardening can be cut and sanded. Matching a transparent stain might
be impossible but paint or opaque stain would be OK. This material I have
seen used to repair rotted window sills, just be sure to rout or cut out all
rotted and damaged wood. You may also need to cut keyways (slots wider at
the bottom) so the filler does not fall out if the wood expands or shrinks
with humidity. A router with a flaired bit is excellent for removing rotted
material as is any roto tool for smaller areas.

Saturate the remaining wood with Jasco wood preservative (clear or green) or
similar product to prevent any future rot or insect invasion. Do this after
the repair in case the preservative makes any adhesives stick poorly.