David A. Frantz

Default blue steel for carving tools?

Hi Guys;

It is not impossible ot buy prehardened tool steel. Actually can be very
useful in this form. However; I can't imagine making knives out of it.

Thanks
Dave

No, Bill, I wasn't wrong at all. The original poster suggested that one could
avoid having to harden a piece by buying hardened tool steel from Starrett. I
disagreed with him. My reply was that the steel they sell is sold fully
annealed, so that it may be easily machined, and if needed hard must be
hardened by the user. This is true of their oil-hardening and air-hardening
steels.

I do agree with you that auto spring steel can make a good knife.

John Martin